Reblogged from Canadian press
Ottawa should consider phasing out insuring home mortgage through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp., the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.
The advice is contained in the IMF’s latest economic report card on Canada, which projects modest economic growth of 2.25% for the country next year.
Such a recommendation, surprising from an international financial organization, appears to side with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, who has recently questioned whether the federal government should be in the business of insuring higher-risk mortgages at all.
Some analysts have credited the system for providing much needed confidence in Canada’s housing sector during the 2008-09 crisis, which many believe was sparked by a crisis in the U.S. mortgage market.
The IMF concedes that the current system has its advantages for stability. But it says it also exposes the government, or taxpayers, to financial system risks and might distort the market as a whole in favour of mortgages over more productive uses of capital.
“We think banks lend too much to mortgages and too little to small and medium enterprises,” Roberto Cardarelli, the IMF mission chief for Canada, told reporters in a briefing in Toronto.
“We suspect the fact that banks may benefit from government-backed insurance on mortgages (…) it sort of makes it easier for banks to do mortgages than other kinds of lending which presumably, we think, is going to be more useful for the real economy.”
The Washington-based financial institutions said further measures should be considered to “encourage appropriate risk retention by private sector and increase the market share of private mortgage insurers.”
- IMF urges Ottawa to quit insuring mortgages through CMHC (business.financialpost.com)
- IMF says Ottawa should stop insuring high-risk mortgages through CMHC (calgaryherald.com)
- Flaherty regrets massive growth of CMHC, vows mortgage action if needed (business.financialpost.com)
- Canada Should Consider Ending CMHC Mortgage Insurance: IMF (theepochtimes.com)
- IMF says Ottawa should consider ending CMHC mortgage insurance (calgaryherald.com)
- Ottawa to introduce ‘risk fee’ on CMHC insurance (business.financialpost.com)